Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Three P's.

1. It's Three P's, Not Four.
2. This isn't about a Marketing Strategy.

I'm a middle class citizen of India and this is my story.
I wake up every morning, take the train to college, attend my lectures, take the train back home, do my chores, sleep. Sounds simple? Not if you look closely.
On my way to the station I often come across men who believe that every woman is theirs to stare at. I live through that every day. The overflowing trains are merciless to one and all. Train travel conditions you to swim underwater for a couple of hours at least, if you know what I mean. I thank the Lord every time I get off a train in one piece. On my way back, repeat.
Still sounds simple? Look closer.
I don't belong to that strata of people who spend money for a living. We're the people that don't spend every alternate night in clubs or throw parties that can afford to invite random strangers too.
We're the people that prefer kande pohe over pancakes and puranpoli over...well, you get the point.

When I come across a sticky situation, I don't say "Tujhe pata hai mera baap kaun hai?" cause I know that the guy in front of me will know my dad just as well as the PM knows the people of this country. Making 'one call' doesn't get me three cars full of people to solve my situation. I can't commit a crime and be rest assured that'll my father will make a few calls here and there and I'll get away scott free.
We don't have celebrities, politicians or the underworld dropping in for chai-biscuit. Nobody in my extended family has ever seen a gun, except in movies, or Diwali.

My father doesn't sport a red tilak on his forehead and wear white clothes and fold his arms to the public. He doesn't stand on a stage and make promises to them. Nobody's life depends on the direction of movement of his head. Nobody hangs on to his every word and hitch hopes to it. We can't have a car with 100% tinted windows and get away with it. I wasn't given a swanky imported car with a VIP number on my 18th birthday. 

I'm an Indian citizen. And I face situations where I'm forced to shut up and gulp down my rights because my life is dear to me. 
No matter how much you want to stand up for your rights, you can't. Cause you fear for life. And as girls, for our dignity.
A wad of notes in their pocket, a gun at their belt, a couple of contacts in their phones and the backing of an influential man is all it takes for these scoundrels to do what they like and get away with it.

India is my country. But all Indians are not my brothers and sisters.
To feel safe, secure and peaceful in this country, you need three things. 

Power, Politics and Paisa.



No comments:

Post a Comment