Saturday 14 June 2014

S(hhh)ex.

If you're a generation behind me, your worst nightmares probably came true. Yes, I have one blogpost dedicated to sex. 
And at this precise moment, you're judging me. But that's okay. I don't blame you.
It's the Indian mentality.
'Sex' according to our mindset is a crime. We disown our children and take their names off our will and what not. Umm, we don't want to get into the science of their existence, do we?

All this frenzied reaction to this simple three letter word. I have another three letter word for you- Why?

Why do we get worked up when there's the mention of sex?
Why do we switch channels when there's anything that suggests it?
Why do we hesitate to acknowledge the concept and the logic behind it?
The more you avoid discussing something, the more curiosity it's going to generate. It's Newton's action-reaction law. We've learned that, haven't we?

I know I'm treading on extremely risky grounds here, what with giving people a wide scope to judge me. But it's about time someone said it. Typical Indian mentality: There's no sin like indulging in sex. Be it the talking part or the doing part.

I want to take a moment and clarify that through this post I'm not encouraging more people to go indulge in sexual activities. I simply want to know why it's the conveniently and perpetually shelved topic of discussion.

In 9 out of 10 Indian movies I've watched, there's a prematurely pregnant girl becoming a social outcast because of her 'condition' and her parents wailing and beating their chests over the shame she brought to the family. Now, I'm aware that an unmarried mother doesn't slip right into the norms of our society, but how far will you go to punish her for her 'treacherous deed'?
Simultaneously we're exposed to the other extreme in the West where teenage pregnancies are also dealt with calmly and maturely.

With the ridiculous disparity in what we see and well, what we see, where are kids going to find answers if their folks are so uptight about the more-than-necessary discussions in their early age?

You may think I'm overstepping here by telling parents how to do their job, but that's really not what I'm trying to do. 
We've advanced in too many fields but this one, and the most vital one at that.
We deny them the answers and penalize them if they go looking for them on their own. 

I have no shame/ fear/ embarrassment in acknowledging it. I'm a saree loyalist and yet I'm as open minded as people get. Are you?


4 comments: