Monday 13 January 2014

A Slice Of Life.

It's only the second week of the new year and the turnout at gyms has already taken a tumble. All the "I'm going to take my workout seriously this year" has drowned in the Tequilas and the Cokes.
So what's the big deal about this weight loss frenzy anyway?
It's Bollywood, which in turn caught this flu from Hollywood.
The whole must-have-perfect-figure-if-you-want-to-feel-beautiful disease started with the Firangs who barely nibble at their bread once a day. Now that it has caught on in a country like ours where we have the people worshiping food like their deity, it's raised some perfectly shaped eyebrows.

I'm 19. I live to eat.. and write, but mostly to eat. I don't believe that I must have zero fat to be at peace with myself. I eat to feel better. I tend to eat more when I'm under pressure or stress. Sue me.

 I'm not one of those who can starve to get the Kareena Kapoor figure, which by the way she didn't achieve by just "eating healthy". There's a lot more that goes into the process, but let's not get there. But since we took that road anyway, consider this.


 Were the yesteryear actresses any less beautiful than those today? Did they draw any less audience than those of today do? Were they any less fantasized about than the scenario today? They were a notch higher if not the same.
Same gender. Same field. Same profession. Same techniques. Almost the same audience.
What has changed? The mentality. The ridiculous concept of Size Zero has marred the way girls look at themselves. To find clothes of a size for people that actually eat has become a task.
The Indian woman is symbolized by her curves. What is she left with if you take that away from her? A flat stomach, sure. But what's different about her now? Nothing.

We're focus so much on looking good that we forget to feel good. I don't believe in the "look good to feel good" crap. Spare me.

We become so conscious about our extra inches here and there that we stop eating what we like, dressing how we want and living our life. We're so busy sucking our stomach in that we're ignoring all the fun things life has to offer. Like cheesecake.

Whilst saying this, I don't ask you to be fat. Work on your body, yes, strive to look good. But not so much so that you start worshiping your trainer and starve yourself.

It's okay to eat the occasional slice of cheesecake and scoop of ice cream.
Life just gets better when you're a foodie.



                                                                                            

2 comments:

  1. Dear Tanvi, Do read this article (link given) on the same issue, written by me & Minnu. It takes the issue even further and deeper ~ http://completewellbeing.com/article/for-my-eyes-only/

    ReplyDelete