Sunday 22 September 2013

Once A Sulonian..


I scampered to make it to class before the “Warning Bell”.
Till 4th grade I gobbled up my lunch so I could go out and play for the rest of the Lunch Break.
I’m one of those very many students who stopped carrying a “Short Break Snack” after 7th grade because it was too childish.
I’d ring the huge bell in the 3rd standard corridor and run away while the watchman in the khaki uniform chased us.
I was a part of the mob at the canteen on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Tara bai and Laxmi bai were as popular as any of the teachers.
I played “Concentration” every single day during Sports Day practice.
I was one of those who knew that the ‘Lamp’ had never ‘Just Been Lit’ on the Lamp Lighting Ceremony every month.
A.P.P and M.D periods ranked among my favourites.
I knew exactly who they were referring to when they said “Amma”.
I was (also) victimized by the Music Teacher who hated almost everyone.
I was lucky enough to have the funniest guy on earth teach me Marathi.
I screamed my lungs out during the Youth Festival after we won competition after competition.
I screwed up the Craft assignment and passed off someone else’s work under my name and got an A+.
I spent two minutes after every period in the washroom, as though that was a necessity.
I made a cake for the first time in school, in 8th grade in the Home Science room on the Third Floor, right next to the slope.
When it came to asking the Bus Number, it was always “Takle ko puch”.
I’ve danced my heart out in the Gopalvan.
No matter how tone deaf I was, I sang with everyone else and enjoyed it all the same in the Music room.
My heart broke when I saw the Old Assembly Hall being broken down.
I spent 12 years out of 18 in this place.
I love school for what it was and what it gave me.
The BasketBall court, the Football ground, the Office area, the Watchman’s Cabin, the canteen near the old KG Park, the little secret hideaway above the third floor in the Old Building, the Old Assembly Hall, the Gopalvan, the New Assembly Hall, the Sahana, the Malhar, the Darbaar, the Old Labs, the mesmerizing corridors.. School was and will always be the most amazing place I’ve been to.
A proud Sulonian,
Till Eternity.





2 comments: