Thursday 13 February 2014

Will You Please Not Be My Valentine?

It's here. The week I dreaded.
Probably the only time of the year that scares me more than the exam week.
Second week of Feb, the Valentine Week.

Everywhere I go, I see red. I see hearts. I see teddy bears and overpriced chocolate gift packs. 
When I say everywhere, I mean e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.
 You look away from one puffed heart and look straight into another lump of red. I mean come on, that's not even what your heart really looks like.

I choke on my cup of tea (I'm anti- coffee ever since "Do you want to get coffee?" was qualified for a pickup line.)  when someone I know says "What should I get her for Valentine's?" A spoonful of reality topped with a sprinkle of 'act-your-age' I want to say. But I don't.

I'm not against professing love, believe me. I swoon at the mention of romance. But timed romance? Once a year? It puts me off the concept of Valentine's Day. There's 365 days in a year and the only time you put thought and efforts into making someone feel special is on the 14th of February? It doesn't even sound like a romantic date! You don't need one day of the year to try and get someone to fall in love with you. 

Love doesn't always mean Red. Go buy him something in his favorite color instead of dumping blinding red gifts on him for the love of God. 

You have the most vague and non-romance related organizations and companies pushing you to "Ask her to be your Valentine." Sorry to burst your bubble, but Saint Valentine was a martyr. In the literal sense, you're asking her to lay down your life for you.
Yeah, awkward.

I'm a die hard romantic but I believe in romance across the year.
The day someone walks up to me without a trace of red and says, "Will you not be my Valentine but my everything else?", I'll hold on to him for life and never let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment